The weekly newsletter that's more reliable than the UK government (too soon?)
This week is about the evolution of TikTok.... it's more than just dancing videos.
In this edition:
- Your TikTok content is boring.... Do this now to fix it
- Shoppertainment (yes, that's a word).... Tiktok is shifting from social media app to entertainment app
- How effective is TikTok?.... They commission a study, it will surprise you
Your TikTok content is boring.... Do this now to fix it
This tip is courtesy of Michael Sanchez
There are 2 aspects you need to work on: Verbal and Visual
Next time you’re thinking of what to do in your next video I want you to do this simple exercise that I do with clients, and I guarantee you it’s going to change the stress and processing when it comes to content creation on TikTok.
What’s a subject or topic that people care about. Do a little research.
Then ask yourself:
- What’s a different or unique view on this topic that’s different from everyone else in your space?
- What can I say to make this subject or topic more interesting and memorable?
- What’s a new perspective I can share on this topic?
- What’s an alternative or polarizing way to view this topic or subject?
It’s as simple as that.
Now let’s stack it a bit further.
Once you’ve established what you’re going to say and ask yourself the following:
- What emotion or idea am I trying to hit on and what facial expressions or body language is going to match the specific words I’m using.
- So for example if you’re going to be talking about being so surprised and shocked, what can you do with your facial expressions, head movement, and hands that convey that same emotion.
- Next I want you to think what place and setting you should be in that will match the goal and emotion of your video and what you’re saying.
- So for example if you’re a doctor talking about how to stay clean... you probably want your background to be clean and not messy as it wouldn’t sync up with what you’re saying versus what you’re showing.
That's it 👊 Do this and your content will be better than 99% of the rest
Shoppertainment: Tiktok is shifting from social media app to entertainment app
I swiped this info from Stacked Marketer (they know their stuff)
TikTok wants to help you with your campaign performance.
TikTok’s new 17-page holiday marketing guide provides some insights into which times are most engaging, events you shouldn’t miss, and more.
It also showcases TikTok’s ever-growing ads palette, and helps you decide when to use in-app creative tools. Sweet.
TikTok is changing: Also, as their “Shoppertainment” guide explains, TikTok is shifting from social media app to entertainment platform.
The guide talks about the buyers’ journey—how users switch apps, buy on different days, and lose trust in branded content—as well as customers' “functional and emotional” needs. An interesting read for sure.
And now we’re hungry: According to a recent study, half of surveyed millennials visited or ordered from a restaurant they saw on TikTok.
Out of those, 72% went because the food looked appetizing, 45% because it had a unique menu.
Why we care: If you’re running TikTok Ads, you may want to skim through the holiday guide just to make sure you’re covering everything.
And you might combine that with the insights about “Shoppertainment” for even better performance.
Oh, and if you’re advertising a local place, promoting it on TikTok could help you fill some chairs.
And if you need help finding influencers…
How effective is TikTok?.... They commission a study, it will surprise you
Another from Stacked Marketer (seeing a trend)
TikTok knows you’ll take their research with a grain of salt.
Packaged goods are crushing it: According to Nielsen, TikTok successfully drives sales with paid media, especially in the US, where it saw 96% higher ROAS compared to other channels.
Beauty, personal care, and food and beverage categories have seen the biggest success, with TikTok Ads even topping TV ads revenue per 1,000 impressions, despite lower costs.
Discovery channel: A study by Fairing found that TikTok is often the first touch point when it comes to learning about new products.
Apparently, 15% of all product discoveries start with TikTok.
Ditch TV for TT: Kantar Link AI discovered that more than 3,500 TikTok ads outperformed digital and TV norms by 15%–20% when it comes to metrics like persuasion and enjoyment.
Makes sense, since youngsters rarely watch TV.
Why we should care: TikTok seems to be a great channel for prospecting and content marketing, especially if you sell packaged goods.
We’ll just assume you’ve already integrated it into your marketing stack.
And if you’re recruiting influencers, you should probably know that…
That's it for this week 👊
Thanks for reading.
PS... We have something planned for Black Friday.. make sure to look out for the announcement.... been planning this for 6 months
PPPS..... If you REALLY enjoyed this.... share the love